Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Compliment Challenge

You might have noticed my facebook status last night--it was Day 1 of the 30 day "Compliments Challenge."  I chose on my first day to compliment my dad, the first man I ever loved.  He was the prince charming to my dressed up princess, the under-the-bed monster checker, the man who helped me learn to pee in the woods while out on an adventure (that one didn't work, I still can't pee unless I'm on a toilet).  I love my dad, and I do not tell him enough.

But some background on this whole challenge...

A few weeks ago I was invited to participate in a challenge where all participants compliment a different person every day.  At first I ignored this invite--I compliment people all the time.  I think at least once a day I dish out a compliment.  Whether it is to my husband, telling him he made a nice dinner or is a great hugger, to a coworker who looks particularly nice, or to a rando at a store, I dole out compliments like they are going out of style.  No, really.  Mountain Man hates it.  I will literally stop a stranger in the street and tell her she is pretty, or I like her bag, or her baby is so cute...I constantly embarrass him by giving compliments to people I do not know.  


But you know what?  I LOVE getting compliments.   Never have I ever gotten a compliment by a stranger and then said "god, that person was so weird!"  Instead I feel honored that someone recognized something that I did/put effort into and I blush and feel like I am flying high on the compliment cloud for at least 3 hour (more like 24).  Because of this, I like to compliment others.  So sue me.

So yesterday, after seeing my facebook wall literally overrun with compliments, I decided to join in.  I do not think it will be a challenge for me to think of 30 people to compliment--I could compliment everyone I know with an honest-to-goodness compliment. But it will be challenging for me to think of only 30 people.  Some days you will see my compliments on facebook (I think the official challenge is that you need to post them?) but some days I will compliment the person face to face (Momma PB for example does not have the ole' facebook).  Some compliments will be heartfelt and full of deep thought, others will be shallow and fun, but sometimes those are the best.


So I urge you to join me and the hundreds of others to compliment a different person for 30 days.  It might seem simple and easy (and even a little cheesy!) to you, but everyone loves receiving a compliment.  Go ahead, make someone's day.

3 comments:

  1. I feel honored that you chose me for your first compliment. I fell in love with you the moment you appeared in the world. Your mother said to me . . "which finger?" and I looked at her and she replied . . . "Which fingerr is the one she will have you wrapped around?" and I said all of them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this concept. I am also the person who will run up next to someone to tell them I like their bag.

    Also waaaaaah at your Dad's comment on this post. That made me tear up. So sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Howdy! I know this is kinda off topic nevertheless I'd figured I'd ask.
    Would you be interested in exchanging links or maybe guest writing a blog
    post or vice-versa? My blog addresses a lot of the same subjects as yours and I feel we could greatly benefit from each other.

    If you happen to be interested feel free to send me
    an e-mail. I look forward to hearing from you!

    Awesome blog by the way!

    Look into my web-site :: noticias primero

    ReplyDelete