Monday, April 11, 2011

Spring

After a long winter, I think spring is finally here.  I know the temps in the low 70s today were a treat and will not stick around, but spring has sprung, and there is no turning back.

I went for a run outside today.  I hate running, but I force myself to do it.  However, today's run was tolerable due to the spring weather gracing us with it's presence.

I could smell the dirt, fresh dirt and grass.  And after last nights rain, I could still smell moisture in the air.  The first spring rain!  And the smell of grills being lit after work, is there a better smell known to man?

I could hear water melting and forming the seasonal, road-side waterfalls next to sloping yards.  I was acutely aware of the robins and other spring time birds chirping about.  "Hello!" they said, "Spring is finally here!  Rejoice!"

I saw kids playing in back yards, families walking dogs in shorts and tee shirts.  Motorcycles all over.  Teenagers doing cartwheels on their green lawns.  Every car that passed me during my jog had windows down, most had music pumping.  Crocuses and daffodils were bountiful along the roads.

Even when storm clouds rolled in and a few splashes of water hit my face, I smiled.  The smell of rain mixed with dirt, the welcoming sound of thunder in the distance.  I cannot hide my love of spring and not even a spring thunder storm will stop me.

After nearly 3 miles I made it home.  I was hot and sweaty and as usual, gasping for breath.  But I felt great.  My senses have been awakened from their long winter slumber, and like the robins, I was rejoicing.

Happy Spring!
Bubbie

1 comment: