Thursday, December 9, 2010

shlamazel

Tis the season, so they say.  You know how I know the holidays are upon us?  There is static in the air.  I shock myself whenever I touch anything.  It is 18 degrees out.  There are ice chunks floating down the river.  The radio is playing AWFUL Christmas songs (so is P. Chops).  I am afraid to go into town on the weekend for fear that it will take me 6 hours to go the quarter mile to get anywhere.

Nope, I have not been bitten by the holiday bug this year.  As a matter of fact, now that the 8 days of Hanukah have come and gone, I realize I did not even take the menorah out of storage.  I didn't make a single Latke.  I have yet to unwrap the cellophane from the advent calendar that my mom still insists on giving me each December (sorry mom).

It's not my fault that I don't feel the holiday spirit.  I want to.  I really do.  But we are lacking two very important things that make the holidays really fun.  The white stuff and the green stuff.  No snow.  All around us people are getting hammered with snow.  And trust me, I usually don't mind not having snow.  But if it is this cold, and this close to the holidays, a couple of feet is fine.  In fact, it is welcomed.  Especially because my neighborhood is starting to look really brown and ugly without it.  And secondly, we are flat broke (please refer to the new Mac addition to the Goodwin household.  And wedding.  And move across the country.  And getting new snow tires for the cars since eventually there will be snow...)  It is hard to get all freakin' festive when we cannot afford a tree, a tree stand, gifts, stamps for our holiday cards, the ingredients needed to bake with, etc.

I have faith that this weekend, when I go to START my Christmas shopping (I am a little behind on this, I know.  Again, please refer to the awful holiday traffic and the new Mac and you will know why I have yet to start this process.), put up the tree, play a select few Christmas songs, and bake for 12 hours straight that my blackened heart will begin to melt and I will start feeling festive.

Love,
Grandma the Grinch

No comments:

Post a Comment